You rotate your tires, you change the toilet paper roll, you are born, you live, you die.
Rotation systems are a great way to help you deal with your physical stuff and keep clutter to a minimum. They give you clues as to where in your process you are, and allow you to keep current. When you think about it, who wouldn’t want a rotation system?
Some key rotation systems to set up around your house and office are: laundry, mail, food, household helpers, reading, projects, events, errands, and wardrobe. I’m sure there are more but these will get you started.
1. You will want to create the place the item or activity to live. The soup on the second shelf, the shampoo under the sink, the magazines on the coffee table for instance.
2. When you get to the last one, add it to the list. Or when you get the new one put it on the bottom. Or use up what’s left before opening the new package. This will create a currently in use and a back stock situation.
3. Next time you are out and about, pick up the items on the list. It is even faster if you have a separate list for your frequented stores. Grocery, drug, hardware and the office supply store are good lists to start with.
4. Bring your replacement items all the way into the house or office. All the way back to the place they live. Don’t leave them in the car, or on the table, or over there, just for now. Notice that this works the same way when you are replacing a current item with one from your back stock, as in shampoo from under the sink into the shower.
5. Dump the packaging as you put it away. You know how the giant package of toilet paper is really several packages inside a big pack. Go ahead and get things down to their individual component and you will only have to fight the packaging once, not the 12 or more times you have to rotate. It will also give you options for creatively storing your stock.
6. Make better decisions. Maybe it takes you 3 years to use that many light bulbs. Maybe you are always running out of printer paper. Maybe you haven’t actually crocheted in 7 years and the Crochet World magazines are being ignored. By having the rotation system in place you can purchase just the right amount, free up space and money. Not to mention fewer trips to the store.
Apply one rotation system at a time and let me know how it goes. Just by having a plan, items know where to go. So even when things get out of place, it’s fast and easy to replace and restore order.