Laundry piles up. We all have good intentions, but in real life, laundry gets started but rarely get finished. It is one of those things that only seems unimportant. In fact un-done laundry one of the most stressful things in any home. Think about it; remember when you couldn’t find those pants?
What if you could get laundry under control and get the task finished? By setting up your space and work-flow you will create a streamlined laundry routine that will simplify your life.
How to Get Your Laundry Under Control
Set Up and Supplies:
- Keep only laundry related items in the immediate washing and drying area. On the nearest shelf keep detergent, a laundry booster and dryer sheets. Try picking brands and sizes that fit in your space.
- Have a jar for money and a small basket or tray handy for items in pockets.
- Dirty laundry goes into a hamper or laundry basket positioned near where you get undressed. If you have room have one for light colors and one for dark colors. If you don’t, use one hamper and separate into a pile on the floor as you put into the washer.
- Leave your hangers in your closet but pulled to a central spot so you can grab with one hand when bring the clean clothes back.
- Have a drying rack or clips and hooks for drying delicates.
Here is How it Works:
- When hamper is full, transfer the dirty laundry pile to the washer. Check pockets. Wash.
- After the wash cycle, move to the dryer. Pull delicate items to the side, then dry the rest. Hang delicates to dry.
- (If you have more clothes to wash, put a new load of laundry in the washing machine. Wash.)
- When the original load is dry, put load into hamper. (Move wash load to dryer, as above).
- Next, fold the clean items in the hamper. Use a table or the bed to stack like things and per person together as you fold. Shake out and drape hanging items.
- After that, restack into hamper. Lay hanging items across the top. Return items to closet and dresser.
- Return hamper(s) to it’s home. Leave single socks in hamper. The match is probably clinging somewhere.
- Finally, gather, fold and return delicate items.
More Ways to Streamline Your Laundry:
- Eliminate all the extra products and all the extra load categories.
- Get consistent with your folding, your stacks won’t fall over on the shelf or in the drawer.
- Remember, laundry isn’t done until it is folded and put away! It’s faster than hunting for your pants all over the house.
Make it so easy, your kids could do it.
Read more about how to get your laundry under control >> Easy Strategies for Laundry